11.06.2009

Skull cutting board - Mr. Bourdain






Yesterday, I had the honor of meeting a culinary figure I have a lot of respect and admiration for...Anthony Bourdain. After a pleasant and entertaining evening of oratory onstage, we were able to meet Mr. Bourdain for a brief period to have him sign some books and one of my Cochon cutting boards; personalized "For Boonie and Bethany." He was very humble and accepted the above gift I fashioned for him this week. It's a butcher block construction of his chef's skull/"Cook Free Or Die" logo. The darkened areas were wood-burned and a magnet was inlaid under the mouth to hold a knife. I told him he was welcome to it if he'd use it and that I wouldn't be offended if he didn't accept it. He dug it, and said it was "small enough that it would fit in his luggage." Cool.

Thanks go to D. Boone and Patti for the sweet b-day present. Thanks also go out to Dr. Bill McCallum and Kevin Dennis with Ames Lab at I.S.U. for the uber strong magnet.

5 comments:

Glass Half Full said...

Great idea. I love the cutting board and I bet he will really use it. He doesn't seem like the type of person who would have had any problem telling you it's not something he would use if it wasn't.

Unknown said...

Awesome! What a cool idea. Looks great too. Wouldn't it be cool to see it in an upcoming show??

Jason Swanson said...

Who is Anthony Bourdain?

Boonie said...

Funny, Swanson...

Unknown said...

What's with the tattoo? Is that a free mason logo?