3.11.2009

Barn wood - mortises



I HAVE been doing something since I got back from Phoenix. Here's an example of the mortises that mate with the barn wood tenons. The mortising drill is probably the coolest carpentry tool I've yet to use. Call me old school, but I love a pinned mortise and tenon joint. The detail looks cool and they're super strong. (The bed is getting a 3/8" lag pin.) Maybe it's the sideburns that brings out the Amish in me...I was wondering how the hell those dudes built barns without a machine like this using those joints. Very cool.

The bed should be standing in the next day or two depending on tomorrow's Lumicor frame installation. I'll be spraying polyurethane here pretty quick with hopes of a late install tomorrow night. Seriously, the frames are gonna rule...

No comments: